What would Christmas be without some genuine Scottish Shortbread to nibble on?
Here is a delicious and simple shortbread mix to prepare in advance for your own home baking or to give as gifts this Christmas!
Scottish Shortbread Mix
What you need:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar (caster sugar)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Clean, DRY, airtight gift jar, big enough to fit the ingredients above.
- Christmas tag or label for instructions.
- Ribbons, fabric, Christmas ornaments, stickers, etc. to decorate the jar
What to do:
- In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients, blending well.
- Pour mix into your gift jar and seal tightly.
- Decorate your jar appropriately for Christmas
Attach this label to the Jar
- Makes 16 pieces
- 1 cup butter (not margarine), softened and cut into small pieces.
- 1 jar Scottish Shortbread Mix
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Sift the mix 3 times in a large bowl.
- Knead the butter into the shortbread mix very well.
- Press the mixture firmly into an 8-inch pie plate, or shortbread mold.
- Bake for 1 hour. It should be pale in colour, not browned.
- Cut into wedges while still warm.
For more Gift in a Jar ideas take a look here!