Surprise your friends or family members with a little pre-prepared cookie mix gift in a jar.
Home made gifts are always well recived. I often make gift in a jar presents for teachers at Christmas time or for their birthdays. They are also super to make up ahead of time and keep int your own store cupboard for days when you feel like baking. Like having your own box mix; move over Betty Crocker!
One of the most popular recipes is for Oat Cookies. A deliciously filling, satisfying cookie that is perfect for nibbling as you sit by the fire with a steaming mug of hot chocolate (or tea or coffee).
Simple to prepare and even simpler for the recipient to make, this gift in a jar will bring a little home and comfort and joy to anyone who receives it. Take some time to make pretty recipe instructions to attach to the jar, cover the lid in pretty fabric and ribbons and stick a handwritten label on the side. Perfect!
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- half of the oats
- half of the brown sugar
- Mix together the sugar, baking soda and cinnamon,
- Put on top of flour
- Layer remaining brown sugar and remaining oats
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Grease cookie sheets.
- In a large bowl, beat 1 1/4 cups of butter with 1 egg and 1 teaspoon of vanilla until fluffy.
- Stir in the contents of the jar.
- Drop cookies by rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Cool on cookie sheets for at least 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely
- These spread quite a lot when baked, so do leave enough space around each spoonful for them to "grow" in the oven!
So if you are thinking of teacher gifts, thank you’s for someone special or to give to your neighbours over the holidays, whip up a batch of these. They will last for at least 3months in a properly sterilised jar that has been sealed well.
I do love being able to prepare these little extra touches well in advance before the craziness of the festive season is upon us. If you’re not a fan of oats, then take a look at some of my other gift in a jar ideas. Some edible, others not..I’m sure you’ll find something for everyone.