Have you got an excess of apples, or some sitting in the fruit bowl that are a little less firm than you like them? Turn them into this tasty loaf cake which is superb served hot with custard or ice cream. The original recipe called for raisins to be added but my ‘kidlets’ are not fans of raisins so I opted to make it a little less healthy 😉 and added chocolate chips instead! Chocolate chips work really well in this recipe as the apple flavour is quite subtle so does not clash with the chocolate at all.
Apple and Chocolate Chip loaf deliciousness!
- 300 grams plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 200 grams raisins
- 150 grams melted butter
- 150 grams soft brown sugar or Demerara sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 medium apples Grated (with skin on, no need to peel first)
- Preheat your oven to 180C
- Place all dry ingredients into a large bowl, stir til blended
- Put all wet ingredients into a jug, stir together
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Stir til no flour is visible.
- Scoop into your loaf tin (which is lined and or greased)
- Bake for 45 to 60 mins. (Check after 45 mins)
- A skewer should come out clean when the cake is cooked through.
- Allow to cool and cut into sliced to serve.
- This is superb served warm with custard and/or vanilla ice-cream as a dessert.
I think I may try other additions to the loaf instead of the chocolate chips to change it up a bit. Perhaps nuts or other dried fruits or a handful of seeds. What do you think?
Do you have any apple recipes you adore? Drop me a comment and let me know about it!