Things that make me scream!
I am sure I’m not alone in this. Some days are better than others and some days are downright awful. Depending on the level of listening skills my children decide to display, I can find myself endlessly repeating certain sentences and phrases. I’ve decided to categorise them according to the areas they pertain to. So without further ado; here are the things that make me want to scream!
You’d think this would be a no brainer! Children should want to be clean and sweet smelling? Apparently not! Sometimes they are just too lazy to be bothered to take care of these things themselves. Now I don’t expect my 4 year old to stay on top of this quite yet, But I certainly do think it is not too much to expect from a 6 or 8 year old.
- Wash your hands after using the toilet
- Have you brushed your teeth?
- Remember to flush
- Stop picking your nose
- Cover your mouth/nose when you cough/sneeze
- Lift the toilet seat! (boys)
My kids know the rules of behaviour, they are fully aware of the expectations we have of them. We have reward systems in place and sanctions for breaking these rules. YET, the following gems are repeated almost daily…*scream*…
- Stop annoying your brother/sister
- Stop chatting, it’s time for bed
- Did you hear me?
- Don’t whistle at the dinner table
- Don’t stand on your chair
- Sit up in your chair (at the dinner table)
- Don’t blow bubbles through your straw into your drink
- Stop shouting
In our home we work together to keep the house tidy and neat. I do the cleaning (which they may help with) but they have to keep their space tidy and neat. The expectation is that they tidy each evening before bedtime so that it is ready for a new start the following morning. I also want them to help out by putting things away, clearing the dinner table and helping to keep communal areas clear of clutter.
- Did you finish your homework? (only for my eldest as she is able to do most tasks independently, I sit with the younger two)
- Don’t throw your clothes on the floor, hang them up ready for tomorrow.
- Put your shoes away, don’t leave them for me to trip over.
- Tidy the playroom/ your bedroom
- Hang up your bath towel
- Make your bed
- Put your dishes in the sink
Routine tasks (that you do daily and feel should not even need mentioning as they are expected everyday!)
- Put your shoes on, we’re going to be late
- Please get dressed, it’s time for school
- Where is..Have you got …. your jumper/book bag/lunch box/ homework folder/coat/fleece/school shoe/clarinet
- Put your lunch box in the sink
I am sure you can all add many more to the list. These ones are the ones I feel like I say way too many times in an average 24 hour period! Some days it’s so often that I definitely need to let it out in a scream. I’d love to hear your gems. Feel free to share in the comments below.